Thursday, September 12, 2013

Prints to Clay

Before I was seriously interested in photography, I was seriously interested in ceramics. I took my first ceramics class in high school, and fell in love with the feeling of throwing clay on a wheel. As of right now, ceramics is still my primary interest, but I am learning more and more about how expanding your mediums influences your creativity. Lee Akins, a ceramicist, has been using photography to help expand his creativity in his ceramic works. Although he generally doesn't base his ceramic work directly off of his photographs, the influence is pretty clear.

Check out this photo of weathered wood Akins took at Lake Kathrine, NM:

And now look at the ceramic vase he has created:

Although I don't have access to ceramic supplies right now, I am hoping that exploring photography will give me resources to pull from when I get a chance to put my hands in some clay again. 


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a balance that I continue to fiddle with between engaging in diverse activities and focusing on one thing to the exclusion of all others. Too many activities and I begin to feel like I will never master any of them, and too few and I realize that my perspective is limited.

    ReplyDelete