Thursday, September 26, 2013

Fuzzy Faces




This summer, I had the privilege of working at Big Sky Bible Camp, in Big Fork, MT. Big Fork is probably the prettiest place I have ever spent more than a few days in. To my surprise, as the months went by, the majesty of the mountains, the sparkle of the lakes, and the intricateness of the wildflowers never faded.

The view from the dining hall
ISO 800,  f/22, 1/200s, 80mm
Unfortunately I didn't have a whole lot of time to spend taking pictures, and at that point I had very little knowledge of how to use my new DSLR. On weekends, I used areas of tall grasses as practice ground for using manual settings. These areas were teaming with color and insects under the 2pm sunshine, and I quickly became fascinated with the challenge of photographing the fluttering butterflies, bees and dragonflies. Although most of my settings were improper at best, I got some decent exposures.

ISO 400, f/8, 1/640s, 300mm
ISO 800,  f/11, 1/640s, 300mm
These are two of my favorites from the summer. I am fascinated by their little fuzzy faces and long sucker things. Unfortunately I took them both at an unnecessarily high f stop, and a higher ISO. Given what I know now, I would drop the f stop to 4 or so, and move the ISO to 100 or 200 to preserve quality and allow for larger prints.

1 comment:

  1. The bee photo in particular makes me happy. Must be the scifi that makes me think of insects as aliens rather than bugs. They're so strange with their many legs, eyes, wings, mouthparts, metamorphic stages. Being so small and fleeting that it's so easy to ignore them from day to day.

    I have no interest in insect-collecting anymore(except as pics), but I learned a lot about where to look for them, so on days when I actually have my camera on me, I usually end up getting up really close to a beetle/whatever and making use of my macro.

    ReplyDelete