Thursday, November 14, 2013

Screen Calibration

For my submission for the student art show, I decided to print this black and white photo of Peterson Lake.  After a few phone calls, I finally found a place that would print my photo in the wide 16x9 format. However, when I picked up my print, I was slightly appalled at how dark it had printed.
I brought the photo home and compared it to the on screen representation on my macbook. I estimated that the printed photo was 1.5 stops darker than the on screen representation. After some research I have learned that screen calibration is probably the source of my problem. Unfortunately, external hardware is required to accurately calibrate your monitor. However, I suppose that if photography is something I will continue with any sense of seriousness, It may be worth my while. This link describes the steps necessary in using screen calibrating software and hardware.
http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-calibrate-your-monitor

The calibration package runs used in the description above runs about $180 according to DTGweb.com. This could possibly be a future investment.

No comments:

Post a Comment